Thursday, February 3, 2011

Warning: This Could Change Your Life

     Have you ever had a life changing, mind altering experience, an experience that shaped the way that you lived your life from that moment on? Birth changes our lives, our own birth, obviously, but also the birth of siblings and children. Unfortunately, death also alters our lives dramatically. Suddenly there is a gap where someone used to be. I have been changed by Christ, who I asked to come into my heart when I was twelve years old. I was changed by the birth of my youngest brother, Eli, when I was eleven. My Grandpa's death changed my perspective on life when I was thirteen. When I was fifteen I met my husband, Jonathan, and he has changed my life in so many ways! The life changing experience that I would specifically like to tell you about today came about because of a brilliant book entitled, "A Thousand Splendid Suns," and an amazing woman named Dr. Strickland.
    "Books can be dangerous.  The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley
      If you are unfamiliar with "A Thousand Splendid Suns," it is the heart wrenching story of two women from Pakistan who are forced to marry the same man. They are brutally treated, beaten daily. They are starved and raped. Their children are taken away from them, and they eventually attempt to flee the country.

     I was so deeply disturbed by this book that when it was finished I spent close to three hours sitting on my bathroom floor and sobbing. What overwhelmed me was the fact that thousands of women and children across Pakistan and Afghanistan as well as in Iraq, Iran, and Sudan are being treated this way and worse TODAY by terrorist sects who kill them and beat them and rape them simply for raising their heads in public, attempting to go to school, attempting to seek medical attention or leaving their homes without their husband's permission. It is very real. It is happening NOW, and something needs to be done.
     Since my exposure to this book two years ago, I have read every piece of literature that I can find regarding Afghanistan and the plight of women and children in the Middle East in general. (Please let me know if you would like reading material! I have several suggestions)There is a horrific lack of education and extreme poverty. God has tied a lasso of sorts around my heart and has tetherd me to the nation of Afghanistan. I have no idea how, why, or when He plans to use me, but until it becomes clear to me I want to educate as many people as I can about the hideously awful way that so many women and children are living their lives each day. I have posted a link below which is extremely eye-opening if you have the time to take a look at it. This piece is entitled "Behind the Veil," which is a documentary on the lives of Afghani women that was put together by a Canadian newspaper. If you have some time, please take a look at it. I would recommend watching the individual interviews. They are amazing and horrifying and allow you to hear all of the answers that the women give without the political bias that the newspaper puts on the documentary.
     I am sorry that this has been a bit ranting. The truth is that I could rant about this for days. If nothing else comes about because of this, I would simply ask that you would please pray for the nation of Afghanistan and that the few Christians and relief groups that have been able to make it into the country would remain strong and safe. Thank you.
  "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." -1st Peter 1:6-7

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/behind-the-veil/

No comments:

Post a Comment